Left Fur Dead

Left Fur Dead

Left Fur Dead

by J.M. Griffin


On a cold spring day, rabbit farmer Jules is out for a walk when she discovers the frozen body of Arty the Mime. When someone breaks into her barn, With the help of her pet rabbit, Bun, who communicates with her telepathically, Jules must try to figure out who is behind the murder before they can hurt her and her rabbits.

While I liked the premise of this book, and the characters, I had a difficult time reading it. If it weren't for the fact that this was chosen for my book club, I probably would not have finished it.

One of my biggest problems with the story was the narration. I felt many things were repeated: once for the reader and then again within the context of dialogue (sometimes more than once). Although this was the first book in the series, the backstory was so over-explained, I often felt as if I had missed something by not reading a previous book. It was also injected at random times, interrupting the flow of the story.

For example, the body is found almost immediately. Instead of focusing on this key moment of the story, the narrator goes into several pages of backstory before returning to the dead body. I felt as if it took away from the story. Especially since much of what was said was repeated later on.

I also did not like the fact that the narrator often broke the fourth wall. This caused both a change in tense and point of view that I found irritating. The main character introduces her self to the reader on the first page (My name is Juliette Bridge, better known as Jules. I'm the owner of the Fur Bridge Farm, where I raise rabbits...) right after finding a frozen hand stuck in the ice, but just before realizing there is a body attached. In my opinion, the story would have flowed better had the narrator continued describing the body and had Jules introduce herself when calling the police.

This brings up another problem I had with this story. There were many times when things were told through narrative instead of shown through dialogues and actions. Combined with the repetition of information, I found it difficult to become engaged in the story. There was also at least one plot hole. While searching the barn, Jules finds a piece of paper she sticks in her sweater pocket to read later. I still have no idea what was on it.

Another issue I had with the story was the dialogue and overall feel of the main character. While she is supposed to be a twenty-five year old woman, she comes across as more post-menopausal in her speech. I have never known anyone who says "golly", especially a 25-year-old. Much of the dialogue felt stiff and unnatural, as well as some of the narrative. I very rarely saw the character as a young woman.

Ultimately, I walked away feeling underwhelmed by this story. Overall, I would rate this story three quills and place it on my bottom shelf.




Comments