Chase: The Boy Who Hid

Chase: The Boy Who Hid

Chase: The Boy Who Hid

by Z Jeffries


Chase is angry. While everyone believes his grandad is dead, he knows the truth: Grandad is just missing. Since no one believes him, it's up to him to lead the search. Unfortunately, that means taking his spot in a top-secret government game of hide and seek, gaining the trust of the team, and maybe even interviewing the enemy. All without getting himself killed. Piece of cake, right?

While I found this book entertaining, the worldbuilding was a little confusing. I understood the need to keep the descriptions of the Lack vague, but there were other elements I would have like to have explained a little more. For example, if the ball was for only the team captains, who were all the other people present? And, I was confused by some of the technology used by other teams during the game. I would have liked if the author had spent a little more time describing that for me.

I would have also liked to have seen a little more character development. This book had a large cast, especially once the game began. I had trouble remembering who was who and I didn't feel as if I really understood most of the characters. Although the author gives a brief description when introducing each of them, I had a difficult time figuring out whether most of them were closer to Chase's age or part of an older generation. I knew their backstory, but I didn't feel as if I really knew most of the characters.

The story was also difficult to read due to the numerous grammatical and proofreading errors.

That said, I enjoyed the overall story. I liked watching Chase's growth and progress. I was as anxious as Chase to discover what really happened to Grandad. And, although he found a few answers, I would probably continue reading the series to see whether Grandad returns or is truly dead. Overall, I would rate this story three and a half quills and place it on my middle shelf.





Comments