Pixie's Gift

Pixie's Gift

Pixie's Gift

by Raven Wolfe


Four years after the death of her brother, Stephanie is still tortured by nightmares about the water. Meanwhile, Adam is numb from the recent loss of the woman he loved. They don't know each other yet, but a gift from Pixie is just what they need to begin healing.

Despite its short length, the story was a slow read. It contained very little dialogue and there were many times I would have rather been shown information instead of having it been told to me. There were also numerous grammatical and proofreading errors and the book overall was formatted as a webnovel instead of an e-book.

That said, I enjoyed this story, although I would have liked to have seen a lot more worldbuilding. I didn't really get a much of a sense of where and when this was taking place. For some reason, probably because of the cloaked woman on the cover, I kept wanting to think this was set in the Victorian era, even though there were plenty of clues to suggest this was a contemporary work.

I liked the way the author revealed relevant information about each character a little at a time. By the end, I really felt I understood the character's backstories. However, I didn't see much development, especially at the end. I would have liked to have seen a little more growth, especially after each character comes to terms with the death of a loved one and begins to heal. This story is told from four points of view, but I am not sure I fully understand why Gladys and Claude were featured. While Gladys does give us a little more information about some of the main players, I didn't feel it was anything that couldn't have been placed elsewhere in the story. Meanwhile, Claude only seemed to move the plot forward in lieu of a scene break. Neither of these characters showed growth during the story and I would have liked to have seen them developed a little more.

Although this book claims to be a romance, I don't really get many romantic vibes from it. The main characters walk away as little more than friends and I don't really get the happily ever after or happy for now impression. I don't mind since, in my opinion, it is too soon for Adam to even consider being in another romance in the first place. However, I would consider this more of a contemporary paranormal fiction than a romance.

I'm hoping to see more of Adam and Stephanie in future books. Overall, I would rate this three quills and place it on my bottom shelf.

Comments