One for the Hooks

One for the Hooks (A Crochet Mystery #14)

One for the Hooks

by Betty Hechtman


Molly has a comfortable life. A middle-aged widow, she works in a local bookstore-slash-yarn shop, is seeing a high-power attorney, and lives alone with several cats and dogs. Until her son moves in with his very pregnant girlfriend. When a horrible, stinky accident causes the death of one of her friends, how could she not try to help. Even if it means working with her ex.

I was drawn to this book because of it's crocheting theme and was pleased to see it play such an important role in the story. However, I had a difficult time making it through the book. One of the things that I found irsksome was the narration. I felt the main character was constantly repeating herself. Several characters were introduced multiple times, right into the final chapters, each time as if it were the first. There were also many scenes that were summarized when I would have liked to have seen the action and dialogue instead.

Without giving too much away, I will say that I was disappointed with the ending. I thought the method used to get the "bad guy" to tell the truth was a little far-fetched. I also didn't like the way the love triangle was resolved. While it is obvious whom Molly chooses, I would have liked to see the repercussions of her choice with the other guy. This might be one of the stories for the next book in this series, but I walked away feeling as if the story was not quite complete.
Ultimately, I would rate this story three and a half quills and place it on my middle shelf.




Comments