The Executed Executive

The Executed Executive (Nosy Parkers Mysteries Book 4)

Set in 1957, Mary likes her uncomplicated life. During the day, she is the secretary to an old man who tends to fall asleep when dictating notes. At night, she curls up with her cat to watch detective shows. Life is good. But when a murder at her office puts her job in jeopardy and makes her friend a suspect, she puts her detective skills to the test.

One of the first things to draw me into this book was the fact that the main character loved to watch Perry Mason. I grew up watching the reruns of my mother's favorite show. It was very easy to relate to Mary and I really enjoyed the world the author created and the romantic subplots.

By the end of the first chapter, I knew the story would be about a secretary named Mary and there was a hint as to who the "Executed Executive" would be. However, there was not much of a hook and, while I was intrigued, I wasn't dying to read the next chapter. As the book continued, however, I was drawn into the story and by the end of chapter three I was completely invested. I found myself working alongside the main character trying to solve the mystery of whodunit. (I was close. The person I suspected turned out to be an unwilling accomplice.)

This book is the fourth in a series although, for the most part, it felt as if I was being introduced to the main character for the first time. There were some references to childhood exploits, but I was not sure whether that was the previous books or just backstory. It didn't matter. This book was able to stand on its own without having read the others.

I was not thrilled with the design of the cover. The image of the typewriter keys felt out of place with the illustrated images above it. Even after reading the back cover, the cover did not really give me a sense of what this book would be about. However, by the end of the first chapter or two, it made complete sense.

Overall, I found the story highly engaging. I enjoyed the familial relationships as well as those Mary has with her friends. I found the story creative and imaginative and look forward to reading more by this author.

Ultimately, I would rate this story 4.5 quills and place it on my top shelf.

Comments